Jack Daniels Burger
· 500g of steak mince (Makes 4 medium size burgers
· 8 rashers of bacon
· 2 medium onions sliced into rings
· 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
· 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
· 25 ml of Jack Daniels (or whiskey of your choice)
· 1 Beef tomato, cut into slices
· Sliced Gherkins
· 1 egg
· ½ cup of breadcrumbs
· 4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
· 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
· 4 brioche buns
· 4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into fries
· Salt & pepper to taste
· 1 tablespoon of olive oil
· In a mixing bowl, combine the mince, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, whiskey, egg, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper. Mix well and place covered in the fridge for at least one hour.
· Remove the burger mix from the fridge and cut into quarters. With wet hands mould each quarter in to a ball then press down on a flat surface to form a Pattie.
· For the sweet potato fries it comes down to personal preference. I like mine cooked in the fat fryer as I find it makes a crunchier chip. For the more health conscious a tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper and placed on a baking tray in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 35-40 minutes will produce a good sweet potato chip. If you are using a fat fryer, heat the oil to 180 degrees. Fry the chips for around 5 minutes then leave to stand for 3 minutes or until you are about to serve.
· Place the burgers in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Scatter the onions around the pan. Fry the burgers on a medium heat for 2 ½ – 3 minutes either side.
· At the same time in a separate frying pan, cook the bacon on a medium each according to packet instructions. At the last minute, drizzle with the maple syrup.
· Just before serving place the fries back in the fryer for another 2 minutes.
· Slice the brioche buns in half and place the under a preheated grill for 1 minute.
· Time to assemble. Place burger on top of the brioche bun. Place a slice of the Monterey Jack cheese on each burger. Stack the gherkins, onion then bacon on top of this and finish off with a slice of tomato.
· Serve with a side of sweet potato fries and sauce of your choice. Sriracha sauce works well.
Jack Daniels Burger